Wednesday, December 28, 2016

52 Essays in 2017

VONA sister, Vanessa Martir, has put out the challenge: write 52 essays in a year. That's one essay per week.

So what do I do? I freak out on the inside, get drawn in by the word "challenge", think about what kind of stuff I would write (would it be all the private inside shit put out on display? or would it be cop-out shit?), take a deep breath, and say YES.

As the new year approaches and this one comes to a close, I've been taking inventory of the past 12 months. It's been a year of milestones, dramatic shifts (uh, election), and transformations (hello, yoga teacher training). But I've also taken a look at my writing life thus far. I've come to this decision: this coming year has to be different. I want it to be more intentional. *I* want to be more mindful. In how I live and in how I write. I want to be more mindful in actually writing. I'm always talking about writing and how I should be doing more of it and blah blah blah. The doing somehow doesn't happen as much as I'd like. Yes, living one's life feeds the writing. But one needs to actually also sit down and put the pen to paper and write.

So I'm doing this.

As process. Not as finished product. As journey, not destination.

We'll see where this road takes me.

First essay up on January 1, 2017. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment