Monday, June 1, 2015

Arrived!

Greetings from Bread Loaf Mountain! I got in about an hour or so ago. Checked in, settled into my room in a cottage-style dorm room (the dorm is literally a cottage!). I had planned to take a short nap to recharge from that 5+ hour drive in the rain. I laid down, about to fall asleep, and my phone lit up like Christmas. Suddenly, everyone and their mother is sending me a message about this or that. And my brother calls about the first summer swim team practice being delayed due to thunder.

Man. So much for spotty cell service. I was really looking forward to disconnecting from the mama life.

And so much for my nap.

*sigh*

Well, what better time to write a blog post! Though, to be honest, I don't have much to report. It's cold and damp. About fifty degrees. Fortunately, the rain has stopped for now. My room is chilly -- it was warmer before when the heat was blowing, but now it's not. Good thing I brought a fuzzy blanket. I'm considering pulling my winter coat out of the car (I threw it in there, just in case) -- it's supposed to get down to the mid-40s. The people above me are noisy & heavy footed & use the bathroom a lot. I think that toilet flushed at least 5 times in the last hour. The one on our floor? Twice. I just hope the people upstairs are early sleepers.

It's weird to be back in a conference / workshop setting. Feeling anxious and nervous, which is par for the course when I'm experiencing an unknown -- new surroundings, new people --and not just regular new people... writers! Writers are a weird species. I should know. I am one. Socializing with writers gives me anxiety. They're so unpredictable and sketchy, hard to read, tougher to trust. (That's for another post.) But isn't this what it's all about? Going outside our comfort zones? Pushing ourselves to experience new things?

I think I'm hungry, but my belly is all nerves that I can't even think about eating. There's a welcome social in about ten minutes and I'm thinking about hiding out in my room until dinner at 6:30. But of course, I can't do that. That's just dumb. If only I brought a flask of tequila. You know, liquid courage. Just a swig to ease the nerves, warm the belly, loosen the guard.

Jeez. I sound like a college freshman!

Bwahahaha!!

Okay, off I go to socialize...

Oh, and speaking of college freshman, I didn't finish my homework of reading all the participants' work prior to our first workshop meeting tomorrow. Guess what I'll be doing tonight? *tsk tsk* Typical frosh!

No comments:

Post a Comment